Theatre is for everyone!
We think every child deserves to belong in a theatre family. Our scholarships make that possible by covering up to the full cost of all Young Footliters programs. We encourage every family with need to apply for scholarships to participate in Young Footliters activities. The process is simple, and we believe in welcoming every student possible.
Support a scholarship — Giving the gift of theatre
Our scholarships are possible thanks to the generous donors, grantors, sponsors, and supporters of the Charlie Bates Memorial Scholarship Fund. Each gift makes a new story possible for our kids — we know it is life-changing. If you would like to give the gift of theatre to a student in need, you can Support a scholarship today.
Join us! We believe every student should be a theatre kid. If you need financial support, our scholarship program is here to help. Young Footliters offers scholarships for all class/camp and production registration fees. Take a look at the Scholarship Information tab to learn more.
If you've been cast in a Young Footliters production and need a production scholarship, you can find the information in your welcome packet!
Who qualifies for a scholarship?
- Students who live in Johnson County or an adjacent county (Linn, Benton, Iowa, Washington, Louisa, Muscatine, Cedar).
- We know that financial need comes in many shapes and sizes. We encourage all families with need to apply for a scholarship. If the cost of participation would prevent your student from being a theatre kid, you qualify!
How do I request a scholarship?
- You'll need to complete a scholarship form for each scholarship request before registering for a class or workshop. We will enroll you in the class at the same time we approve the scholarship.
- Our team approves scholarships several days each week. Please give us a day or two to get back to you.
- You can complete a scholarship form online or by calling Katie Colletta at 319.248.9312.
- Registrants can request either a full scholarship or a half scholarship. To make theatre available to more students, we encourage registrants to select the scholarship that is appropriate to their financial need.
What do scholarships cover?
- Any Young Footliters fee is eligible for scholarship support, including camp/class registrations and production fees.
- Students with financial need are encouraged to audition for Young Footliters productions! Production scholarships may also include ticketing support for cast families who need assistance to attend the production. We'll take care of your scholarship after you are cast, no need to request one in advance.
Can I request more than one scholarship?
- Yes! Per semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) a student may request up to:
- One multi-day activity scholarship and one single-day activity scholarship; or
- Three single-day activity scholarships; or
- During Summer semester: one Footliters Traveling Playhouse (FTP) scholarship and one other multi-day activity scholarship, or two non-FTP multi-day activity scholarships.
- A single-day activity is a class or workshop that has one session on a single date.
- A multi-day activity is a class, camp, or production with more than one session — such as a semester-long class, a week-long summer camp, or a Young Footliters production.
- Young Footliters may need to reduce the scholarships available per-student if high scholarship demand exceeds available funds.
- Registrants agree to abide by the agreement in the scholarship form:
- Students commit to attend the activity covered by the scholarship
- If a student needs to cancel or change their enrollment, they agree to contact Young Footliters before the beginning of the activity to be withdrawn.
- Students agree that if they don’t attend their scholarship-funded activity without withdrawing before the beginning of the activity, they won’t be eligible for more Young Footliters scholarships for one year.
- Students agree that the scholarship isn’t transferable. Only the student named in the scholarship email will attend the activity.
- Students agree that this scholarship is separate from other City of Coralville Recreation scholarships. Students understand that they may or may not be eligible for other City of Coralville scholarships for other programs.
- Young Footliters may deny the scholarship request if registrants do not consent to the scholarship agreement, or have not adhered to a previous scholarship agreement within the last year.
Young Footliters scholarships are made possible by the Charlie Bates Memorial Scholarship Fund. Charlie shone onstage as a performer, and in our theatre family as a friend to many Footliters. After Charlie's death in 2022, our theatre community of friends, family, and those who love Charlie created a scholarship fund to make sure every child would be welcome at Young Footliters. We are proud to continue Charlie's legacy of warm, funny, unconditional welcome to this theatre family.